TNCT, which stands for “Trends, Networks, and Critical Thinking”, is a subject that I have no idea about. When I first saw it in my MyUSTe portal, it seemed kind of exciting to me and it’s one of the subjects that I am really looking forward. Being clueless in that subject made me think of what can it contribute in my learning as a humanities and social sciences student. As far as the discussion goes on, one topic caught my attention. I believe that the topic that I am talking about is timely, significant, and a something that the people cannot just ignore.
Source: https://unstats.un.org/unsd/envstats/index.cshtml
Let’s talk about ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES and let’s identify what I’ve learned about it in the said course. There is a big difference between climate change and global warming. It’s often misunderstood and often seen just the same. Climate change is all about the major changes in our climate that lasts for a long period of time while the global warming is as seen on it’s name, is the increase of the global average temperature of the earth’s surface because of the thinning of the ozone layer which can be located in our atmosphere. Just like I said, there is a difference between the two and I recalled it through this subject.
Now, this one’s more confusing. What is the difference between climate and weather? Well based on how I learned in TNCT, climate refers to the prevailing SET of atmospheric conditions such as temperatures and humidity. That means that climate is based on the region of the earth and what conditions it gives. While on the other hand, weather is about the CURRENT atmospheric condition in a certain place. Somehow confusing when it is just seen right? But through TNCT, I was again, recalled that it is not the same.
Those are just definitions and surface level of understanding. But as I listen, I learned that these variable correlate to each other. The changes in our climate, weather, temperature means something that we should look on.
Do you experience extreme heat unlike in the past years that you were living? Yes, it is not just a normal cycle but all made of too much Greenhouse gases penetrating our world.
I remember when I was still in grade school, I perceived greenhouse gases as an enemy of our world. Maybe because of the visual aids that my science teachers are showing, presenting greenhouse gases as villain-looking characters. Well, that is the misconception about those gases. Greenhouse gases are normal to our planet but because of the CFCs or the chlorofluorocarbon, which is caused by air-conditions, aerosols, and other harmful gases that can contribute to the heat and the gradual destruction of the ozone layer, the amount of it becomes bigger. Alarming, right?
Now, just like what I’ve mentioned earlier these variables correlate to each other. It all ends up to the common denominator, our environment and how do our acts destroy our planet. I realized that all of the thing I have mentioned are related to each other and if we are not going to make a simple start for a change to save our planet, all of it will devour us. Would you wait for it to become too late?

Comments
Post a Comment